walking around in tap shoes and pyjamas since 2010 - my cycling log (opens in new window)

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Cognitive Dissonance

I'm racing on Saturday, so I picked up my team kit today. Of course, I had to try it on. Right away. While waiting for my dental appointment to begin (nothing takes the sting out of an enormous drill-and-fill job like new team kit*, I guess?).

Here's what I look like, all dressed up and ready to rock (or at least to go find my helmet and gloves, once I get done squinting at my phone):
From CyclingStuff

Here's what I think I look like in my team kit:
From No, I'm not sure what the cat is doing in the background, either. Epic backpack battle, maybe?

Here's what my legs look like in cycling shorts:
From Yes, really. That's about the size of it.

Here's what I think my legs look like in cycling shorts:
Just imagine these in cycling shorts. I'm afraid that my computer will crash if I launch Photoshop right now :D

As you can see, my perceptions might be a little skewed.

In the picture, I think I actually look pretty good in my awesome 2010-special-edition-Rogue Racing Project jersey. In real life, I'm like, "Does anyone have a bathrobe handy that I could put on over this thing? ...Because I totally feel like I'm naked." (But naked with three awesome pockets in back!)

This is what Bruce thinks of the whole matter:
a'Oh, Please.'

...So. I'm way behind on logging my mileage, though not behind at all on the mileage itself (in fact, I'm ahead).

This is because I decided to bite the bullet and take a really cool job that I was offered, which has meant re-organizing my life quite a bit. The pay is less than my old job (a lot less), but the work is more interesting and the hours are much more compatible with school, which means I can keep this new job next semester.

Moreover, I've been out playing on the 'cross course this week (yeay!) and had an exam tonight (took all of about 20 minutes, so I either aced it or bombed it). This morning I spent half an hour cleaning sand out of Quicksilver's drivetrain. Tomorrow I have work and then choir.

Life is going to be calmer, but I'm still settling into the new routine.

This weekend is Kings Cross, and the following weekend, we're installing a new Bishop (not sure whether that requires flat or Phillips...), so I'll be singing on Saturday and Sunday. The following weekend, I hope to sit on my duff and do basically nothing.

I'm going to take it easy on the bike tomorrow and basically not ride at all on Friday, so my legs will be fresh on Saturday. They've combined the Cat 4 and Cat 3 races (edit: it turns out they combined the Cat 4 Open and Masters' 35+ and 45+ divisions — much less intimidating), so I will cop to being a little intimidated — but I think I'll have fun, regardless. I'm still trying to figure out whether to ride Quicksilver or the somewhat-improved Swift (now with real 'cross tires!). I doubt I'll figure it out 'til I get there. I'm planning to bring both bikes.

Anyway, that's it for now. I'm going to try to get caught up on my mileage log, but I'm not sure I'll swing it before Monday.

Monday I have absolutely nothing going on except class, so I'm looking forward to just chillaxin' before I roll up to school.

*Except having the world's best dentist — which I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment