walking around in tap shoes and pyjamas since 2010 - my cycling log (opens in new window)

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Complex Solutions for Simple Problems

Over the course of the year, I've been tracking my mileage using a combination of Livestrong.com's 'Loops' tool (handy for route mapping but really slow and kind of wonky for just tracking), an Excel spreadsheet nobody ever gets to see, and various other tools. Basically, the goal was to make my mileage at least semi-public as an incentive to myself (I guess I perform best in front of an audience).

Today I stumbled across the blog of one Cranky Cyclist, and discovered that his public mileage log lives in a Google Spreadsheet.

You may have noticed that this post is entitled, "Complex solutions for simple problems." I sometimes call this my motto, but it's more like a description of the most consistent sticking point in my life.

Using the Google spreadsheet as a public mileage log is a simple and elegant solution to what otherwise might be a complex problem.

To whit, I think I'm going to totally gank the idea. I do still intend to map rides on Livestrong, but on the days that I'm just doing my regular commuting and training rides, I'll simply log my mileage in the spreadsheet.

This seems so simple and obvious I could just explode.

No comments:

Post a Comment