walking around in tap shoes and pyjamas since 2010 - my cycling log (opens in new window)

Monday, June 06, 2011

The Bike Goes Where The Eyes Go

This should be, and probably is, one of everybody's First Principles for cycling.  I'm pretty sure that everyone already knows that the bike goes where the eyes go.  That doesn't prevent it from being a nifty fact to observe in action.

I've been riding quite a bit recently, since I don't have much else on my plate.  Since I live near Iroquois Park, I ride there a lot.  Lately, I've been taking advantage of the curvy roads to build confidence descending at speed.  Same goes for Cherokee Park, while lies conveniently between home and the location of the Louisville Short Track Series races.

I'm not quite at the point I reached last year -- taking the sharpest turns while descending in Iroquois without tapping the brakes is still a little beyond me.  I have been amazed, though, how effectively training my eyes on the line I'm riding gets the corners handled.  It simply feels amazing to watch the line and feel the bike following it.  Definitely helps you trust the bike.

Meanwhile, I still seem to be handling the heat better than usual.  I'm happy about that.  I'm sure riding in an actual bike jersey helps -- my favorite one is black, but still feels like a personal air conditioner when I'm riding.  Likewise, my lungs have been behaving pretty well (I do take a preventative inhaler dose prior to riding), and I am extremely happy and grateful for that.  Nonetheless, I'm planning to ride early tomorrow, since the weather folks are predicting an unhealthy AQI tomorrow.  Here's hoping we'll get a storm soon to knock some of the schmutz out of the sky so we can all breathe easier.

That's it for now.  Ride early, ride often!  :D

No comments:

Post a Comment