walking around in tap shoes and pyjamas since 2010 - my cycling log (opens in new window)

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Back Out of Action (for the Moment)

Once upon a time, I used to do this thing where you sit on this crazy two-wheeled contraption and move your feet around and around to make it go.  It's been a while, so I can't quite remember right now what it's called ;)

Anyway, I've been feeling not so hot lately.  Last week, I did manage to come in only a half an hour short of my goal of five hours on the bike, and the hours that I did put in were pretty nice hours (except for the brief episode wherein my left crankarm came loose AGAIN, leading me to believe my new BB hasn't solved the problem at all and that a new crankset will probably be required before road racing in the spring) -- but this week I have a goal of zero hours and I haven't even looked at my bike all week.

As you may recall, I went to Chicago a couple weeks ago, then came back and caught a cold accompanied by serious fatigue.  I rested for a couple of days, the cold appeared to go away, so I got back on the bike, and while I felt more fatigued than is normal for me, I thought little of it.

Over the weekend, the fatigue continued to increase, which was a little worrisome.

On Monday, I woke up with a scratchy throat.  A quick check in the mirror revealed some kind of weird, white patchy stuff emerging from my left Eustachian tube and heading across the back of my soft palette and throat.  Hm.  Not good.  DD thinks it looks a little scary.  I have also developed a nagging cough and pleural pain, which tells me that my lungs aren't too happy, either.

Anyway, now I'm taking a little time off the bike.

While, in terms of 'cross season training, the timing couldn't really be much worse, I've decided to take it easy until I can get to the doctor's office (Thursday morning, I hope).  Last time I was feeling sketchy, Sam at the shop made a point of reminding me that We Don't Train When We're Sick.  Period.

I'm assuming this is some bacterial thing and as such that some antibiotics will sort it out.  I'm a little pissed at my immune system for dropping the ball again, but I think I've got the message: back off on the training schedule a bit.  I think I am going to roll it back to 250 hours for the year and simply start over once I get done with whatever the infection of the moment is.

I'm also hoping to get some follow-up from my doc on how to manage whatever the problem is that makes my immune system suck.  Admittedly, that may be a challenge to figure out, since I've had all kinds of stuff tested and, besides a hyperreactive response to pretty much everything (read: crazy allergies, yo), I seem to be immunologically normal.

Anyway, I'm a little annoyed at myself (in part for not taking it easier last week, when I wasn't feeling 100%), but I guess I could also choose to see this as an opportunity to get a little more on top of my health and try to get myself a little more sorted.

More to follow, though possibly not until I figure out what's going on with the back of my throat.

PS: 175.8

1 comment:

  1. Man, I'm sorry to hear it. I hope you feel better soon. You'll be back on your balancy wheelie pedally contraption thingy soon.

    ReplyDelete